It is the policy of Northwestern Community Services (NWCS) to offer a comprehensive and competitive package for its employees. A summary of major employee benefits follows:
1. Medical Insurance Benefit Plan:
2. Optional Sheltered Plans (Pre-Taxed Withholdings):
Under this plan, NWCSB pays in full the lowest single rate premium. If an employee chooses a higher premium plan, the employee then will have the balance of the insurance premium deducted from his/her monthly salary on a pre-tax dollar basis. Attached is the medical benefit comparison snapshot showing the premiums for each plan as well as a brief plan summary description. A complete overview of each plan will be available to you on your first day of employment. If you choose to waive medical insurance and are otherwise insured, you will be given $200 flex dollars per month for other optional shelter plans below excluding the 457 retirement account (only employee money can be contributed to the 457 account). If you choose to waive both medical insurance and the $200 flex dollars, you may choose $1.00 extra in your monthly pay.
Under this plan, the employee can contribute pre-tax dollars from his/her salary to be placed in one or more benefit options. This is available to all full-time employees.Options available under this plan include:
- Vision Plan
- Dental Plan
- Worksite plans: Accident, Short Term Disability, Critical Illness/Cancer Care
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) – We offer two type of FSA’s – Medical Expense Reimbursement and Dependent Care Reimbursement.
- Health Savings Account (HSA) – You can also enroll in an HSA managed by Blue Ridge Bank if you are enrolled in a Qualified High Deductible Medical Insurance Plan.
- 457 Retirement Account (in addition to Virginia Retirement System):
NWCSB employees are eligible to participate in the Commonwealth of Virginia 457 Deferred Compensation Plan. In order to participate in this plan, you must also be enrolled in the Virginia Retirement System. *See #3 below. Employees contribute to this plan on a pre-tax basis.
Optional Aftertax Benefits:
- ROTH also available through the Commonwealth of Virginia (COV). Same eligibility requirement as the 457 COV plan as stated in #2 above.
Full time employees are eligible to be enrolled in the Virginia Retirement System (VRS). The full cost of contributions to VRS is paid by NWCS.
4. Paid Leave:
Annual leave is earned on a monthly basis and the amount that is earned increases based on the length of employment with the Agency.
|Length of Service||Monthly Amt Earned||Days Per Year||Max Carry Over|
|1 thru 24 months||7.5 hours||12||75|
|25 thru 60 months||9.5 hours||15||90|
|61 thru 108 months||11.25 hours||18||113|
|109 thru 168 months||13.25 hours||21||128|
|169 months plus||15.5 hours||25||150|
Sick leave:For employees who will be enrolled in VRS 1 or VRS 2, sick leave is accrued at the rate of 9.5 hours per month of service, regardless of the length of service. For employees who will be enrolled in VRS Hybrid Plan, sick leave is accrued at the rate of 4 hours per month, regardless of the length of service. This VRS Hybrid Plan includes a Short Term and a Long Term disability benefit that VRS 1 and VRS 2 does not include. VRS determines which plan an employee will be enrolled.
Holidays observed by NWCS are as follows:
- New Year’s Day
- George Washington’s Birthday (President’s Day)
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Thanksgiving Friday
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- Other holidays approved by the Governor.
Personal Days: Upon an employee’s anniversary date, they are granted three (3) personal holidays per year.
5. Thirty-seven and one-half (37.5) hour work week:
Employees may choose one of the following options to work:
- 8:30 A.M. until 5:00 P.M. with a one-hour lunch break
- 9:00 A.M. until 5:00 P.M. with a half hour lunch break; or
- 9:00 A.M. until 5:30 with a one-hour lunch break.
6. Life Insurance:
The full cost of life insurance for the employee member of VRS is paid by NWCS. However, the employee may choose to purchase life insurance for family members via a monthly payroll deduction.
7. Workers’ Compensation:
This insurance policy subscribed to by the Board, provides salary compensation when disabling on-the-job injuries occur. The policy also covers health care costs resulting from on-the-job injuries.
8. Professional Liability Insurance:
NWCS purchases insurance that provides coverage for claims against the employee in the course of his/her work.